Groom Mine and the Sheahan family

Message posted by jetra on October 06, 2010 at 3:17:57 PST:

Some years ago I researched the Groom Mine ownership. I found a photograph apparently taken by Alan Jarlson in 1953 showing the Sheahan family standing outside their home at Groom Mine watching an atomic detonation at NTS. The photograph shows two middle aged or elderly people (a man and a woman) and a young man, all seen from behind in shilouet.

During my research I realized that the Sheahan family at that time consisted of two brothers Daniel Robert and Horace Patrick (and eventually their spouses) and the parents Daniel and Martha.

This indicates that one brother wasn't at the mine at the time of the photograph taken. But who would it be? I know from my research that Horace Patrick died on Jan 10 1979 and that Daniel Robert apparently lived half a year ago, where he had moved to his daugthers, Barbara Manning, house (today he doesn't live there any more, is he dead?).

The ”fact” that Horace Patrick died early (ony 62 years old) and that Daniel Robert seems to have been living until this year (if he isn't still alive) indicates to me that the young man on the photo is Horace Patrick and that he suffered from a desease related to nuclear radiation. But I never found information showing this as a fact (i.e. death certificate or obituary). Can anyone give an answer?

Another issue for me is that the information about Horace Patrick indicates that he is burried at the Groom Mine. Does anyone know anything about this? And if he is, how would he be allowed to and why (I mean, whould it help the Sheahan family keep their ownership of the mine?).

Kind Regards in advance
Jens

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]