Red Eagles - America's Secret Migs

Message posted by Turbo 182 on September 03, 2010 at 15:07:16 PST:

I just finished reading Red Eagles – America’s Secret Migs by Steve Davies. First, I want to thank whoever posted the book recommendation followed by a special thanks to our courageous Red Eagles pilots. The book really gave some insight into this very important time in America history.

The book kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire read but some of the funny highlights were:
- ducking the Russia satellites
- maintenance guys writing “moya zopa” on top of the hangars in big letters (so it could be seen by the Russian satellites.) Translated – “kiss my ass”
- Sticking the nose of a T-38 out one end of a large hangar followed by taking the butt end of a F-5 out the other end of the hangar, giving the appearance (to the passing Russian satellite) of a plane that was 108 ft long.
- Telling a Soviet General, who was visiting Nellis, when he abruptly asked a US General, over dinner, how many Migs did we have at Tonopah? Our General, without missing a beat or getting excited replied . . . “I don’t know, maybe 300, or 350?” The Russian General almost passed out.
- A Red Eagle pilot, meeting a Blue Air pilot for the first time after flying 3 Mig sorties against him. The Red Eagle pilot introduced himself and the Blue Air pilot remarks . . . “You speak just like an American.” The Red Eagle responds with “I am an American, you xxxhole!”
- Some of the Soviet radars in the Migs were unserviceable so the Red Eagles would buy fuzz buster radar detectors which would light up when they were being painted.
- There has been much discussion about aircraft designators here at DLR of late; page 279 and 280 detail this further.

In large, this book unlocks a little bit more of the mysteries of Tonopah, Groom and all the covert activities we would all like a bigger peek of. This is a must read for everyone at DLR.

Thanks to Jorge, Peter and the rest of the contributors here that make DLR website what it is. BTW, Jorge I owe you a call.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]