Re: Discussion Forum Archive

Message posted by Peter Merlin on July 25, 2010 at 19:05:37 PST:

The rash of "sightings" that started in the late 1980s contained a number of elements that I believe were misinterpreted by the observers. After a fair amount of research I have come to discount the "donuts on a rope" contrails as nothing more than ordinary contrail subsidence phenomena. People with more knowledge about such things have argued persuasively that a pulse-jet wouldn't produce such a contrail in any case.

There were also reports of aircraft at high altitude "coming from the direction of Area 51" or "headed toward Area 51." My own father insisted that he saw such a thing every morning (or perhaps every thursday morning) just before sunrise while walking the dog. I later determined to my satisfaction that this was a satellite passing overhead. Additionally, lots of aircraft come from the direction of various airfields without having any association with those locations. In the Antelope Valley, it is often difficult to tell which aircraft are associated with Edwards, Palmdale, Fox Field, and even Burbank due to the overlapping traffic patterns.

The "skyquakes" were somewhat compelling, owing largely to the fact that I experienced one. I regret not noting the exact date and time as this might be useful data now. It was in the afternoon. The whole house shook as if a freight train were passing through. My father and I both thought it was an earthquake, as did other residents of Los Angeles at the time. CalTech, however, reported no seismic activity. The skyquake phenomenon has been explained, apparently. I don't have enough knowledge to say if the explanation holds water but it should be available somewhere on the Internet if anyone is interested.

More important, the so-called "Aurora" (I hate using that name since it has been definitively associated with the B-2 program) was supposed to be a manned, hypersonic vehicle capable of global reconnaissance according to all of the rumors. However, the history of hypersonic technology does not support the hypothesis that such a vehicle has been developed and fielded. A high-level Pentagon source with knowledge of the entire spectrum of U.S. hypersonic programs told me unequivocally that such a craft is still a long way off and that the "Aurora" rumors were bunk.

In Reply to: Re: Discussion Forum Archive posted by Krispy Kreme on July 25, 2010 at 16:27:47 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]