Nellis Aggressor Squadron Navy F-5's

Message posted by RickB on July 15, 2010 at 9:19:33 PST:

I have two questions with this post:

1) Sometime back in the 1980's or 1990's the Nellis aggressor program was terminated and the Aggressor Squadron was dissolved. I believe this was due to some bad blood and jealousy which developed over time amongst the pilots during the good guy vs. bad guy air combat training exercises. Can anyone steer me in the direction of any good articles or publications which discussed what happened?

2) The Navy (and Marines) are currently flying the F-5N and F-5F Tiger's as one of the dissimilar aircraft in their adversary training program. I know these F-5's are based at Fallon, Yuma and Key West. Does anyone know how many of these in total they have in use and how many are located at each base? I seem to be getting some conflicting information off the internet. I know that over the last several years the Navy completed an aquisition of low-hour F-5E's from the Swiss to replace the current F-5's in the Navy inventory which had come to the end of their useful life. The Swiss F-5's were then upgraded by Northrop Grumman to the F-5N/F status for replacement of the older Navy F-5E's.

Thanks, Rick

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]