Re: Handheld Scanners / Portable

Message posted by Gregos on June 18, 2010 at 23:29:59 PST:

Hankmann, This comes up on the DLR Forum a few times a year. This simple answer is you want it to be able to receive the Mil Air band between 225 - 400 Mhz, AM. Then after that, how much do you have in your budget? You can get a handheld Mil Air Band for under $200 bucks. But if you want to listen in on a Metropolitan Police or Fire Digital Trunk System you may want to shell out $500 plus for that capability. I-Com as I'm sure others have a built in Digital Recorder in the upper price range too. I wish I would have had shelled out more ca$h when I had a bigger bank roll ;-)

So I would get a scanner with the capability of the 225 - 400 Mhz Range without question. Then think of what else you would like to hear and research their frequencies. Then look into what computer software is available for the scanner you have in mind. I have the I-Com IC-R5 for $175 Dollars. Now this scanner sucks to program, but for $20 bucks I downloaded the software which lets you enter frequencies in multiple banks in spreadsheet form. I got the $45 dollar USB interface cable on ebay for $1.99 + $10 bucks shipping from Hong Kong. Bob's your Uncle I'm in business for just over $200 bones.

I hope this get you started in the right direction. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

In Reply to: Handheld Scanners / Portable posted by Hankmann on June 18, 2010 at 15:25:45 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]