Strange activity over a strange place...OT?

Message posted by Roadeye on June 07, 2010 at 9:21:25 PST:

Folks this may be a bit off topic but I found it interesting and thought you may too, considering the talk of late about stealth blimps etc. on your site.
About two weeks ago now, on a Sunday evening a large number of fighter jets were seen in the skies of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
They were observed, by a number of people, most of them very sane and not, for the most part, even the slightest bit interested in military aviation considering the fact that there really are no active fighter bases anywhere in the vacinity really.
One however did catch my attention though.
He was a retired military officer who reported seeing:
"More fighters in one place than the Canadian military owns." He said.
And he said: "Judging by their actions, they were most definately chasing and reacting to something or somethings."
Other people, without his background, went further.
All said the aircraft appeared to be pursuing and interacting with lights that appeared to be flying with them.
In some cases some reported seeing fighter aircraft actually turning etc. to avoid coming in contact with them.
This appearently, according to all accounts went on in the skies over the Island for at least an hour maybe more.
There were also reports of very large lights red, pulsating with white strobes, very big and very bright
moving slowly over the local airport at the time all of this was reported to be going on...between 11:00pm local time and somewhere around one or two in the morning.
Most people who witnessed this late night airshow called local airport authorities, military officials, departments of transport, etc. in an attempt to find out what may have been going on in the area.
All were told there was absolutely no activity around the vacinity whatsoever.
Although a day or so later, it was reported that a man was lost in a canoe in a nearby stretch of water and that there was a search and rescue helicopter in the area about an hour or two before most of the sightings were reported to have occured.
Just as a side note...CFB Goose Bay is about the largest multinational military base close to here.
Somewhere about two or three hundred miles away as the crow flies I believe.
My Question...
Could the United States Air Force have been moving something big, something not common in the skies that evening?
As I said, the ex-military man said there appeared to him at least, to be many more fighters than the Canadian military possesses.
By most reports somewhere in the area of thirty or forty.
Strange don't you think?
Sightings like this are not much heard of around these parts.
All agree on one thing...it was a military display of some sort.
All are curious.
None are getting satisfactory answers.
Any thoughts????

I will say this on their behalf though.
Search and Rescue aircraft are common sights...
This is an area with a very long commercial fishing history.
I have to give these people the respect they deserve when they say CF-18a and other fighters are not usual participants in a SAR call.

Cheers!
Roadeye

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]