Re: Area 51 Surveillance Idea

Message posted by psiuh88 on March 23, 2010 at 14:44:50 PST:

from all the mispellings, was this typed up while you were still in the bar on a netbook?

from another standpoint, how will you airlaunch a small RC plane from a cessna or any other type of small private plane? I don't think the little plane would be able to maintain any sort of stable flight, given they are generally so light - a few pounds for most. and speed is also an issue - did you plan to toss it out the door or build a "bomb rack" on the wind or belly to launch it from? I think either method would result in the model airplane tumbling out of control. there are a few electric motors that will propel a RC model faster than a C172, but they are very loud - they scream.
and if the model isn't piloted by FPV, you'll loose sight of it pretty quick, and probably most certainly will loose track of it anyways as the restricted airspace is what - 26 miles from the base.
And I wouldn't doubt that they already monitor the commonly used RC 72 MHz bands, 2.4 GHz spread sprectrum used for RC planes as well as 2.4 GHz, 1.2 and 900 MHz bands for any broadcast video signals, just in case someone has a similar idea.

let everyone know when you plan to do it. maybe there can be an outting to Tikaboo that day. Most of us have probably never seen a live fire of a sidewinder missile from an F-16 in person. might even get to see some 20 mm live fire too.

I don't know why go to all the trouble of air launching - when RC FPV on a cheap foamy launched from the ground is so easy - as long as there is direct sight between the pilot on the ground and the airplane, but I don't think it would take too long before an MH-60 would descend on the RC pilot and have a bunch of heavily armed commandos fast rope right down on his head.
The RC FPV is not much different than the small UAVs being used by the army, except most of the RC civilian pilots use video goggles to "fly" the plane. Its a really neat technology and growth of the hobby, one that I really want to get as funds allow - but with no intent to overfly groom lake.

In Reply to: Area 51 Surveillance Idea posted by Frank Solomon on March 22, 2010 at 18:33:18 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]