Re: Writing a paper on Area 51. Needing advise

Message posted by MT on March 01, 2010 at 23:21:36 PST:

Tom,

You've also made an excellent point. No, I have never insulted a student in class, but I do challenge my students to think and discover for themselves. If a student asked me for the time while I was standing under a clock, I might poke a little fun and ask him to tell me what the clock "says."

However, this forum isn't a class and Joerg is not his teacher. It is one thing to ask an innocent question, but this was a request for information that is clearly available in the links. "Idiot" wouldn't be my first choice to describe Mike, but I haven't spent ten years developing this site and making it so easily accessible.

I think Mike would have received a much better response if he demonstrated that he'd looked around, developed a preliminary thesis, and asked for additional feedback or resources.

For the record, I think Peter Merlin provided a gracious response. It seems to me that it was ignored.

Ultimately, we are all students. Personally, I view teaching as the highest form of learning.

In Reply to: Re: Writing a paper on Area 51. Needing advise posted by Tom on March 01, 2010 at 22:56:10 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]