NAS Fallon and Top Gun ranges

Message posted by RickB on January 20, 2010 at 16:55:55 PST:

There is lots of info all over the internet on the Nellis Red Flag exercises and ranges, but seems to be very little on the Navy Top Gun, CAG exercises and training ranges out of NAS Fallon. I know there are four Bravo bombing and target ranges to the east, northeast and southeast of the base which are used by the base aircraft. I took a trip to explore all around there several years ago and could see some of the target ranges from the roads. A Google Earth search will reveal several of these ranges and if you look closely, all kinds of target aircraft, tanks, vehicles, buildings and target markings can be seen. I believe most of the live bombings take place on the largest of the Bravo ranges to the northeast of the base but the other ranges which are closer to the state roads actually have the most activity. During my trip there, a carrier air group (CAG) was on station for training. The flight activity of the CAG aircraft and base Aggressor jets departing and returning to the base in mass was very impressive. I would like to hear from those who have made the trip to Fallon. I am also curious about the location of the ranges that were used for flight training at the Top Gun school when located at NAS Miramar prior to its 1996 transfer to NAS Fallon. My guess is they used either the ranges at China Lake to the north or one of the ranges such as the Chocolate Mountain Bombing range or the Yuma range to the east. Again, not much detailed information to be found on the internet.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]