Re: B2 , B3 Prototype

Message posted by RoadKill on January 18, 2010 at 20:36:49 PST:

My Friends:
This theory warrants further exploration. The FACTs speak for themselves. One does not build a multi-million dollar hangar in "the place that doesn't exist" without having an airframe in mind. The thing has been designed and (at least) miniature flight tested and RCS measurements taken. Perhaps the loud sounds at Palmdale and Groom are related and are from this new airframe.

There are questions that need to be answered;
1. Why cut the wings on the B-2 - I mean it's not just so it will fit in the hangar (well, there are screw ups from time-to-time but not to this extent)? If, and it's a really big if, they cut off the wings, i mean reduced the wingspan, they did it for a very damn good reason. Unbelievably great improvements in lift, or RCS reduction…something along those lines. I.e., performance related issues. This one really, really, really bothers me.
2. What’s the need for secrecy here? The initial stealth airframes were revolutionary in their design and materials used. Revolutionary. Not just different. So, having those capabilities and keeping it from the RUSSIANS was important. Is it carry-over mentality? “That’s the way we’ve always done it” kind of thinking? Are there really revolutionary aspects of the new platform(s)? One must assume no – witness the photos of the RQ-170 which was flight tested out of TTR – not stationed at groom, but probably used their ranges. It just looks like a mini-b2.
3. There have been other reports of testing of proprietary UAVs at several different (some very obscure) airfields in the Nevada desert. Probably more being tested in remote locations in Arizona, New Mexico, North Florida along with others. More secrecy…is this just keeping “our” proposed design from the prying eyes of corporate spies?
4. Why add a building at Groom? A hangar designed to accomdate an aircraft with a flying wing aspect ratio. No more aircraft with tails? I guess not stealth ones. And, then you add a huge berm to block views from taxing aircraft and the Tikaboo Sneak gangs. And, you site the building differently than all the other buildings at Groom. Engineers like order – they’d have aligned that building with the rest of the buildings if it were up to them. There’s a reason to cant the building like it is. Security?
5. There are rumblings that Northrop has invited some of Lockheed’s Skunk Works engineers to “assist” them on a project at Palmdale. They hate each other as much as competing companies can “dislike” a competitor. Strange goings on there at Palmdale.

There is much to ponder here. Some of it may be crap, but it’s good to know what the crap is, so you can ignore it later. This is how answers are gained to complex and elusive problems.
I think it’s clear that something is afoot at Groom and Palmdale. There are too many “new” things going on – all at the same time. That sort of activity usually screams large, new, project – with tons of cash to spend.

RoadKill

In Reply to: B2 , B3 Prototype posted by greatguess on January 16, 2010 at 18:06:47 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]