Re: taking pics at area 51

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on November 01, 2001 at 18:10:16 PST:

I think Magoo has already addressed the most important points. At 1000mm Mirror Lockup is probably not neccessary. Rather than a cable release I like to use the timer for each shot. Wind it up, set up your shot with the tripod, start the timer and step back. That gives the camera enough time to stop shaking before the photo is taken. Its a little slow, but I did all my Groom panoramas that way. Wind can ruin your shots. If it is windy try to find a somewhat sheltered sopt.

Especially on cold days cover the lens in a foam pad. The cheap blue stuff that they sell at WalMart as sleeping pad works great. This way you can rest the lens on rocks without damaging it, as Magoo suggested. It also stabilizes the lens temperature. Gary and I had problems on Tikaboo with the focus drifting after the sun came up and the lens warmed up.

It may be a little late in the year for Tikaboo, unless you hit a few really warm days. Good luck, we are looking forward to see what you come up with.

In Reply to: taking pics at area 51 posted by Hank on November 01, 2001 at 17:15:19 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]