Engine thrust noise at GLR

Message posted by Robert on January 06, 2010 at 20:33:24 PST:

I ran out to the perimeter of Area 51 just to see what was going on. Usually there is not much action on our side. Today I was lucky enough to run into "WheresJanet" from this forum. Nice guy with a great camera. Now the interesting part, we both heard this strange noise. I have been to the GLR warning signs at least 40-45 times and never heard anything like this before. Wheresjanet heard it as well! It sounded like a rumble just past the first set of hills. I thought it sounded like a hot air balloon when they pull the cord to fill it. It sounded like engine thrusting but there was nothing in the sky. It would last 12-15 seconds at a burst and then stop suddenly. This happened at least 3-4 times. Is it possible to hear engine thrust testing from Groom at the GLR warning signs. To me it seems way too far. I was able to capture this sound twice on my digital camera. The video quality sucks! The loudest sound is my camera. If you concentrate on the background sound you will hear the rumble. It was quite noticible at the GLR. Everybody heard it and questioned what it was. If you watch the two videos a few times you can hear the sound. Any thoughts???

Attached link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeS5QmESmkw

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]