why?

Message posted by passenger 51 on November 20, 2000 at 02:18:28 EST:

Joerg, thanks for the pics of the new and improved North Gate. The shot from the south side is amazing - looking at my range chart, I've no idea where you were when you got that one.

The revision of this gate has me puzzled. I've always assumed that the reson for no fences has been because of the distances involved. Why build a fence and gates when anyone attempting to get in would surely be stopped in the miles between the perimeter and anything sensitive?

So, there's got to be something else happening here. The only things I can think of are:
1) Something new is happening, and it necessitates much increased security.
2) Somebody got in. Perhaps this seems far-fetched, but why build this elimination zone where all vehicle occupants can be checked unless you're afraid of somebody sneaking in?

I'd like to hear from anyone who's any type of security expert. Why would you build the chain-link fences to line the road and not build more formidable gates? Also, do we have any reason to believe that any changes have been made to the guard shack on Groom Lake Road? The pics on DR of that guard house are fantastic, and I'm sure that they were a nightmare to get, but it sure would be interesting to see what it looks like now. How about the Cedar Pass Gate?

I'd appreciate anybody elses views on this. Something seems fishy.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]