Re: why did they destroy the F-117 airframes?

Message posted by Peter Merlin on November 19, 2009 at 16:11:27 PST:

Article 784 was probably scrapped as a proof-of-concept demonstration of how to scrap the remaining airframes.

Few museums will be able to afford the cost to de-mil one of the airplanes for display. I think it was quoted as around $1.5 million but I don't recall precisely. It's expensive. For some reason, they have to scrape off all the radar-absorbent material, remove radar-absorbent structures on the edges, and remove a number of other sensitive items ( pitot probes, canopy transparencies, vent screens, DLIR/FLIR equipment and screens, exhaust deck tiles, etc.). Frankly, I don't understand why any of these items would be a big deal but this is the same mindset that led to the destruction of all remaining SR-71 spare parts by running them through an industrial shredder.

Articles 780 and 781 were placed on display around 1990. I'm not sure where the funding came from. Article 783 was demilitarized and "restored" for display by volunteers from the 410th Flight Test Squadron. Article 782 was acquired by the 49th Fighter Wing at Holloman as a "maintenance training article." They could make it ready for display and legitimately claim the work as maintenance training. Unfortunately, they chose to configure and paint it as Article 816, a veteran of Desert Storm, so it is misrepresented as a historical exhibit.

In Reply to: Re: why did they destroy the F-117 airframes? posted by perplexium on November 19, 2009 at 13:12:23 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]