Pave Hawk Helicopters

Message posted by Jason on October 23, 2009 at 8:06:54 PST:

Hello to all. I've been browsing the site for a few months now, and I am very impressed with all of the information that is posted here. The pictures are phenomenal, and the insider information is very interesting.

But there doesn't appear to be much detail about the Pave Hawk helicopters stationed at Area 51. I know everyone calls them "security helicopters", but I know that HH-60G helicopters are search-and-rescue assets, flying around teams of Pararescuemen. It makes sense, having a PJ unit where the military conducts experimental aircarft testing. I've seen pictures of these helos at Basecamp, and they still have SAR equipment inside. I've never been in the military or been to Area 51, but I know enough to know that PJ's are constantly training, which means a lot of time in HH-60Gs. I think this could explain a lot of people's run-ins with these helicopters at the Groom Lake Road gate and other access points; not "being chased by the evil black helicopter", but maybe a PJ team was doing some training and happened to be in the area.

I'm wondering: 1. Why does everyone assume that these are "security helicopters"

2. Does anyone have any real information on the security/PJ team that operates them? My guess would be a detachment from the 66th RQS out of Nellis, being the closest PJ unit. But that's only a guess.

3. Does anyone know where on the Area 51 base the security/PJ unit operates from? I know the helicopter ramp is on the north end, but there doesn't seem to be any facilities around the ramp like "ready rooms" like the ones near Hangar 18 or anything like that.

4. What kind of medical facility is on base, and where is it located?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]