Re: Spot Satellite Tracker #02523-012

Message posted by Gregos on September 17, 2009 at 20:27:53 PST:

Here is the SPOT tracking feature from the Mt Irish hike Joerg and I did on 06/06/2008.

Are you saying Cabela's is giving a $149.99 rebate on a 149.99 unit? That's not a bad deal... I was just at REI and they are selling it for $99.

I bought one two years ago and paid $165 for the unit and about the same for a yearly subscription. For $7 extra a year you can purchase a $100,000 dollar Search & Rescue insurance policy which I purchased. My brother's baby girl had to do a Flight for Life Helicopter ride and I believe the insurance company paid 40K for the ride! How much do you think they are going to charge your sorry ass to rescue you from some mountain side???

I just got banged for my second year's subscription in June. Like I said it was around $160. So I just paid $120 more than the 2 year deal they are offering...

Now I'm still on the fence about this unit. It doesn't do much other than reach 911 in areas of no cell coverage. So if you keep that in mind before your purchase, you might not get a case of buyer's remorse. The tracking feature is not that impressive. It also takes forever to send a GPS location. And there is no indication (such as a beep) when the GPS location is finally sent. On the other hand, if you are on the mountain side with a broken leg, I think SAR will eventually show up! I ask you how much is that worth?

In Reply to: Spot Satellite Tracker #02523-012 posted by Dan on September 17, 2009 at 17:17:28 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]