Trip Report - National Atomic Museum / Kirtland AFB Alb. NM

Message posted by Sedalia Mike on October 08, 2001 at 10:53:02 PST:

Stopped by here to stretch legs on trip. Had read about the museum on the internet. Kind of a long wait at guard shack to get special card admitting us to museum. Museum seemed to be in the Sandia complex and was very well done. Airplanes and missles outside and bomb cases on the inside. B-52 assigned to test wing for Nevada Test Site was cool (mushroom cloud logo painted on side). I was impressed with the Trinitite on display and Joe thought it was cool that the flag that flew near the Trinity Site in 1945 was on display. Unfortunately we couldn't visit the Trinity Site even though it was to be open that Saturday due to the fact we'd be in Nevada. They also had a display of gadgets and props from spy movies in the special displays section (got to see Maxwell Smart's shoe phone - cool!). Behind us was a young Japanese woman touring the displays. I didn't have enough guts to approach her and ask her of her impressions of the museum. I know that Joe and I were very respectful of her presence as we discussed the exhibits quietly to ourselves. I think the admission was only $5 and was very well done. I bought a poster at the gift shop of one of the H-Bomb explosions out in the Pacific that is absolutely beautiful in its morbidity.

Sedalia Mike

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]