Re: The experts are silent???

Message posted by habu-e6 on September 16, 2009 at 13:54:05 PST:

Excellent,

It's great to know that an expert has tested JP-7 for radionuclides. I hope this will be referred to a chemist or physicist for confirmation and maybe a link to information on A-50 such as a MSDS (material data safety sheet). The MSDS for JP-7 list composition / ingredients as a trade secret.

There are many cesium compounds as well as several radioactive isotopes of cesium, with half lives ranging from 57 seconds to 3x10 to 6 / years. Stable forms of cesium are considered highly toxic as well.

I'm sure that A-50 was classified information in the past due to its important relationship with US surveillance programs. Hence no special handling procedures. If it was widely known during the program, Executive Order 11157 may have applied.

The question of when it was mixed with the JP-7 is also an important factor. In the many years that I worked on the Blackbirds I never heard of additives having to be mixed with the JP-7. From what I have read about JP-7 on other web sites JP-7 was JP-7 because of the addition of A-50.

I agree that if it were a radiation hazard it would have been a huge scandal, if anyone bothered to check it out. In any case because it is a toxic substance it should have been listed in the EA report for the deactivation of the SR-71 program.

Mr Merlin has brought up several questions about the use of A-50 in JP-7. I'm sure thousands of military veterans and defense workers would be grateful for his concern and any other information on this subject would be appreciated.
Thank You!

In Reply to: Re: The experts are silent??? posted by Peter Merlin on September 16, 2009 at 10:59:55 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]