Trip Report - Whiteman AFB, Knob Noster, MO

Message posted by Sedalia Mike on October 08, 2001 at 10:34:40 PST:

Thought I'd try something different since the list is so quiet and write a trip report. It doesn't have anything to do with Groom other than it's one of the few AFBs somewhat close to me in Illinois (it's also only about 75 miles away from my relatives in MO so it makes for a nice day trip). First visit was sort of a recon for a hour or so a few years ago in the summer of 1998. Simply followed the county road all the way around the perimeter. Spent some time pulled over on shoulder of the road near the back-gate observing the "Batcaves" through binoculars. One of the hangers was open and they had at least one of the jet engines idling so at least I got to see the snout of a B2a. Also saw a tanker take off.

Next visit was a year or two from the first one and I did that one alone so I had more time to skulk around and try to not get noticed by security! This time I visite the main entrance and found out that the base is a totally closed base to civilians (no on base museum in other words but I was free to look around at the airplanes stuffed and mounted outside). Whiteman's history dates back to Sedalia Army Air Field during WW2. Was a glider training facility, considered as a site for Air Force Academy, and became a missile base during Cold War. When Stealths were conceived the local MO representative was able to bring the B2s to Whiteman. Name change was when local air force pilot from Sedalia was shot down during WW2. Many AFBs lost their original names when they were renamed after lost pilots. Whiteman is actually about 15-20 miles west of Sedalia on US 50 in the small village of Knob Noster which sits just north of the base.

Back to my visit; this time I found out the runway is visible from the county road on the east side of the runway and I found the north gate by the B-52 which has a small parking facility. Acted like I was parking to look at BUFF and walked up to guard at gate and he said it would be fine if I parked at small parking lot near BUFF. This provided a vantage point on the north side of the flight-line and a good view of the hangars, taxiways, and north end of runway. I believe this is where the footage from Whiteman was taken yesterday that was on the news. I suspect you might get hassled today if you parked there although the parking area is outside the fenceline.

Last time I visited Whiteman was for the air show last September (cancelled this years but tentatively plan to have it in 2002). Saturday watched from the AFB grounds which was cool - finally got to see the Stealth Bomber and Fighter both fly. Sunday my buddy Joe (or Catman like Gary calls him)decided to watch from the outside of the base. We were lucky enough to be allowed to watch from the cow pasture of the family that farms the land on the south end of the runway. This got me a lot closer to the action. Standing in a field with a F-15 doing screaming tight donuts right over your head at maybe 750 feet is what made me become an airplane junkie. Just awesome!!

Sedalia Mike

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]