Re: O.T. Discovery STS-128

Message posted by Gregos on September 11, 2009 at 9:56:29 PST:

I was wondering that myself last night while pondering the thought if making the drive from Las Vegas was worth it or not?

I can say I saw two launches last year from fairly close and they were awesome. I had my scanner with me for both. I do know when watching a launch on TV you hear a lot of talking during the ascent but that's all coming from Mission Control which takes over as soon as the Shuttle clears the tower. The only call I overheard on my scanner was from the commander "Roger Roll." Which is confirmation that the shuttle made the turn that puts them into a head's down attitude for the climb. That was on 259.700 MHz (AM). Below is a list of the UHF frequencies. There are more frequencies in different bands that can be found at:
www.monitoringtimes.com

Space Shuttle Communication Systems
UHF Frequencies
243.000 Emergency only (AM)
259.700 Air-to-Ground voice downlink (AM) (Primary) 279.000 EVA voice orbiter only, no ground link (AM)
296.800 Air-to-Ground voice downlink (AM) (Secondary) 410.200 EVA downlink (New wideband digital system) (1.4 MHz bandwidth)

In Reply to: Re: O.T. Discovery STS-128 posted by 9th life on September 11, 2009 at 8:41:41 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]