Re: Tikaboo

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on September 01, 2009 at 20:49:23 PST:

With a 2WD car you are probably looking at an extra mile or two of hiking moderately uphill. The road gets washed out about a mile or so before Badger Spring, so at some point you will have to park and hike from there.

If you are in good physical condition, I don't see why you could not make it from there to the top of Tikaboo in 4 hours with light gear. That is, assuming you have a GPS with our waypoints programmed in.

Are you planning on spending the night at the top? Otherwise, give yourself enough time for the way back down to your car. I would not want to drive the road back to the highway (about 1 hour drive) in a 2WD at night.

I am sure you saw our warnings that there is no cell phone coverage, except for the top of Tikaboo. If you get stuck, you must be prepared to hike out. Or hope for a rancher to come by, but the chances are very slim. Take at least four gallons of water, leave a couple in the car (in a cooler!) and take the rest with you. You will need it. If you are used to lower elevations, you may also find the thin air in 8,000ft elevation difficult to breathe during the hike.

All that said, seeing the base with your own eyes makes it all worth it. Enjoy the hike...

In Reply to: Tikaboo posted by varnel on August 31, 2009 at 23:56:55 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]