Re: Camping around "The area"

Message posted by Gregos on September 01, 2009 at 9:49:33 PST:

I've always loved the Hidden Campsite. However, during Red Flag, you probably won't see much action that far south. That's a good secluded spot to view the airspace over Groom Lake.
37° 26.159'N, 115° 27.385'W

Neonsky parks his 5th wheel at "Allentown." An empty gravel storage lot for the Department of Transportation. It's a few hundred feet off the highway, so nobody will really see you at night. I've camped here a few times and had aircraft come right in over my head from the east on thru Coyote Summit.
37° 31.820'N, 115° 35.444'W

I would suggest Coyote Summit's upper parking lot for a tent. Way off the road plus in the morning you are right at the bottom of the hill that we all climb for good photos. Aircraft come right thru on the way in. You'll probably have company on top of the hill as well if you're into meeting people, etc. Be sure to sign my geocache at the top -Red Flag (GC1BPDB). It was looking a bit rough the last time I was up there.
37° 34.261'N, 115° 40.236'W

Then there's Rachel proper. I don't have any suggestions here, but all the land south of Valley Rd is public. Ft Simms would be cool but I think is too rocky to sleep on. I always wanted to camp out on the lakebed, but the road out there is not suitable for my camper but you can get a car out there. Somewhere near the back gate off of Valley Rd would be cool too but the cammo dudes might bug you.

There is a place just before you pass thru Queen City Summit that over looks Rachel that would be cool. I don't have the GPS but if you drive up that way, you will see dirt roads to the west. It's a fence line and corral and you will see a fire pit. I believe it's around here somewhere:
37° 44.957'N, 115° 56.677'W

Check out Joerg's Rachel Home Page for more suggestions as well.

I hope this helps...

In Reply to: Re: Camping around "The area" posted by Scot M Tway on August 31, 2009 at 23:25:13 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]