Re: My Dad and Skunk Works

Message posted by RoadKill on September 01, 2009 at 8:22:04 PST:

My father also worked for Lockheed. During the early - mid 60's, he travelled first to Burbank, then he started travelling away from home for long periods of time. He'd never say where he was. But, he was able to "boondock" as he called it at the location...and he drove a bus (on a rotating basis) and played softball. He brought back lots of expended brass from 50cal, 30cal machine guns - and the links used to string the rounds together, and some rocks – some with precious metals like silver and some arrowheads. They were from aerial gunnery training range that was used before the place he went to was occupied. He also said that you could walk up the ridge and see the public highway. He said that that amazed him – he couldn’t tell us where he went or what he did, yet it was so close to a publicly accessible road.
He also spent a lot of time "overseas". We later learned he was in Okinawa. He never told us where he was in the desert.
He finally told us that he worked on the SR71. He specifically talked about how hot the skin was after a flight and how much the plane leaked after it was just fueled.

I wonder if he'd have been interested in this site - he died in the mid 80's...

RoadKill

In Reply to: My Dad and Skunk Works posted by spdorje on July 26, 2009 at 9:14:39 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]