Tikaboo

Message posted by varnel on August 31, 2009 at 23:56:55 PST:

I must start by admitting that I have never scaled a mountain before. I did however spend most of my early years in the back country of northern Wisc, and went out on many a journey trying to find the "mythic copper mine in Waino, WI." One of my earliest memories involves a friend of my father, we (him, me & dad) went out looking for the mine. When my dad's friends "unstoppable" 4WD truck was buried to the floorboards, we finally gave up and had to walk back for help. It wasn't desert. It was actually the soft forest floor that put an end to that expedition. But it was a h***a long walk back for help (water wasn't required however).

I'm not afraid of exploring the wilderness, have done so many times on my own. And, I've lived in Southern Cal for a few years now. Any time I venture out into the desert (even including my recent trip up to Manzanar) I of course take tools, water, and supplies to be able to survive a few days in the desert should something horrible happen. Be prepared, or die. That seems to be the smart man's motto.

I'm planning a trip up the I15 almost up to the Canadian border. I'm thinking on the way back, a trip to Tikaboo wouldn't be all that far out of the way. But it will be a simple 2WD car that I would be driving, so I am not expecting to make it all the way up the road to Tikaboo.

If I give myself 5 hours of daylight, do the experts around here thing its possible I could make it to the peak? I have been training for entrance into the military,... While I am not a 4wd Truck, I should be able to somewhat match its time up that "truck trail" even with 80lbs on my back. I'm not planning on dragging nearly 80lbs to the peak, just my Hi8 vid cam and the 2x & 3x lenses that I can slap combined on the front of it, a gallon of water, perhaps a sleeping bag.

I'm not going to be taking detailed landscape pictures with a setup like that, but should a late night experimental flight take place, what exists of light shown I should be able to capture something with with I own.

I'm unemployed, otherwise I would be trying to do a dance to get a spotters scope etc before even thinking about hitting Tikaboo....

Should I forget it?

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]