Chevrons in the desert

Message posted by Gregos on May 21, 2009 at 22:15:59 PST:

I was looking at Cedar Gate in Google Earth and noticed the chevron "runway" at 37° 43.858'N / 116° 9.961'W. Zoom out a little after you get there as I put the place mark at the middle of the triangle's "base" to the North. It's upside down. If you draw a line from my place mark thru the chevron's apex it goes all the way to Groom Lake.

Now go to my favorite chevron in the desert by Reveille Peak at 37° 49.338'N / 116° 4.068'W and do the same. This time when you bisect it the line goes all the way to Delamar Dry Lake (aka Texas Lake). When I first saw this chevron runway, I just figured it was another inert target around the range. When I visited the area a year or two back, I could not locate it even with the GPS coordinates. From ground level it all seems to blend together so I'm assuming it is a throwback to the A-12 days or possibly the X-15 program? Delamar Dry Lake was an emergency runway for the X-15 and in fact one did land there due to engine failure on May 6, 1966 - Pilot Jack McKay.

Now was Groom Lake ever an emergency landing strip for the X-15?

And I thought I saw another chevron somewhere around the block but never placed marked it. Has anyone else seen another one or am I just mistaken?

Was this ever covered before???

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]