Re: Could the new tower rotate..

Message posted by NoOne on May 14, 2009 at 20:17:09 PST:

I completely forgot about the 2007 DR satellite image – pretty poor given I was somewhat involved..

I had a few minutes and I wanted to go back and verify that the data we now have actually matches what is being observed.

Taking your photoshoped images I calculated the rotation to be 40 degrees. Looking at the intersection of the line from Tikaboo (N 37°20.654' W115°21.543) to the tower vertex closest to Tikaboo:

The angle to the northern tower face is 15 degrees – making an apparent size when viewed from Tikaboo of 25%

The angle to the south-eastern tower face is 45 degrees – making an apparent size when viewed from Tikaboo of 75%

That would have the larger face to the left.

If the tower is rotated the 40 degrees as seen in the two satellite views almost the exact opposite would be the case – which is exactly what is seen in the photos from Tikaboo – the apparently larger face to the right. Measuring the relative apparent face sizes on the photos I get the larger face at 66% and the smaller apparent face at 33%. IMHO, well within the measurement error.

I’m now pretty confident that the tower does indeed move on its vertical axis.

Thanks for your images Joerg.

NO!

In Reply to: Re: Could the new tower rotate.. posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on May 14, 2009 at 8:57:21 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]