Re: Could the new tower rotate..

Message posted by Gregos on May 14, 2009 at 10:12:52 PST:

Interesting but I'm not 100% sure it actually rotates or it's just a trick of light. In the Google Earth image, the tower is in a position with a vertex of the triangle pointing South. So from Tikaboo Peak (Once again used only as a reference point where you can view Area 51) you would see one full side of the triangle. Which is exactly what you see in Joerg's photo from January 2006 and Paul Wilson's photo from June 2008. So these two positions are the same. Joerg has photos of the base posted June 10th, 2007 but not of the tower. I'd be interested in seeing a photo from then as well.

Now granted there would be a home position for the tower and this is probably it. The one thing that bugs me is there is no buildings near by. the GE image has a sea container near by that was removed in the DLR satellite photo. Sure the tower could be controlled remotely, but this is just an accident waiting to happen. If someone was in the motor workings when it started to spin, oh boy that's a bad day... Not to mention vehicle traffic and so forth. The only way I can see not having an operator on site is if it is indeed an array of some sort and it needs to spin while "hot" and would cook the poor guy. The Control Tower is on the other side of the base but I would imagine there would be an observation building to view it as it rotates.

It will be interesting to see the tower in the updated satellite image from DLR and Area 51 Conference this summer. Hopefully the sun will be in a good position for comparison. Lastly, if it does move, will they keep it in the same position until after the summer as the upcoming satellite photo has been published here for months...

In Reply to: Re: Could the new tower rotate.. posted by NoOne on May 13, 2009 at 23:26:15 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]