Re: Boeing X-32A

Message posted by Magoo on November 16, 2000 at 01:49:24 EST:

Phantom

There are three issues here...

1) It is a fair comment about it not being a beauty contest, however I have never said that one aircraft is better than the other, nor would I know. The X-35 is a better looking aircraft from almost any angle, and that's all I know about the distiction between the two! As far as I know, they are as capable as each other. I like Lockheed as I have a particular soft spot for the SR-71 and the F-111, however I also like some former McDonnell/MD products such as the F-4, F-15 and F/A-18. I hope the 'best' aircraft does win, whether it be a Boeing or a Lockheed product. Of course NO multi-billion airplane contract should be decided on looks, and if you think I am seriously suggesting that is the case, or that I am passing judgement on the aircraft based soley on its looks, well...

2) I'd be grateful if you would (constructively) correct any errors of mine regarding Edwards (or anything else) at the time rather than using them against me at a later date. I have never been to Edwards, and am only going off publicly available information, what I am told by others here, and a little deducive reasoning. However, I cannot remember giving any "info and insights", or making any comments about Edwards, except for those airplane hulks near the X-33 site recently. Once again, please enlighten me!

3) Thanks for the feedback, however I would hardly call it constructive. 'Constructive' would be if you are not only telling me I am wrong about something, but being specific about WHAT I am wrong about, and then telling what the right answer is so I know for next time! I'm here to learn too!

As far as I can remember, the only people who have ever openly accused me of being 'nasty' here (you're the 3rd!) are those with whom I have disagreed, or those with a commercial interest in doing so. If you want to see nasty, you should read some of the stuff directed to me sometime!

Oh, and how you can claim that the X-32A will whip 'Hatrick' after the two have only been flying a few weeks and are less than 20% the way through the test program I am not sure, although I have no doubt you would know better than I.

I am keen to learn more about Edwards, the X-32A, and anything else you can enlighten me on. I'm sure which ever aircraft wins the JSF competition will have alot of influence over western air combat for the next two decades, in a similar way that the F-16 has done in the past two decades.

If I may, I will offer one opinion though. If the higher BAE Systems stake in the X-35 carries any weight, then perhaps that aircraft may win the day if all other things are close to equal. The UK DoD will want as much local industry particiation as possible in the aircraft they select.

But then again, the US DoD also has an interest in keeping both the 'Phantom Works' and the 'Skunk Works' open and viable as future suppliers. As F-15 and AV-8 production winds down, and if the F/A-18E/F order is cut back, then it may go the way of the X-32 if that is taken into consideration. However, if F-22 production is cut-back at all, as is still a possibility, then the X-35 may prevail. I'm sure politics will play a big part in any decision.

I have nothing against Boeing, the Phantom Works, or the X-32A, and I apologise if I offended you or anyone else at Boeing with the 'Fugly' comment...I'll try not to repeat it! Please email me if you wish to continue this discussion, as I'm sure the others aren't really interested. If not, then so long..., and EQUAL good luck to 'The Phantom' and to 'Hatrick'!

Magoo

In Reply to: Boeing X-32A posted by Phantom on November 16, 2000 at 00:21:27 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]