Live Webcast from Tikaboo and Area 51 test flight

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on September 07, 2001 at 14:43:37 PST:

Thank you all for tuning in to our world-premiere Live NetCast from Tikaboo Peak, and for your kind words. This time the radio link worked much better, and I hope we were able to give you an idea of what it is like, up there on the top of Tikaboo Peak. It was a lot of fun for us, and we will try to do this again soon. Your donations will help finance similar events. Please see our main page for details.

Thanks to Bob Clabaugh for providing the radio link, and to Gary Sellani and Bill Whiffen for providing the hardware and for doing the hike with me. That steak and wine after the broadcast sure was good. Thanks "Chef" Bill! ;-)

Unfortunately the radio link faded when I went over to the telescope to describe the view of the base. The good news is that we got great new panorama photos, which will soon be on this web site.

Right after the signal was lost we saw the runway lights come on, and what appeared to be a small aircraft take off from the base. It did several rounds flying slow and very low over the base, and performed at least one touch-and-go maneuver on the runway. Immediately before the moon came up the test flight ended, and the runway lights were turned off. For more details please see my trip report.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]