Re: What goes on at hanger 19?

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on April 03, 2009 at 8:19:13 PST:

Thank you for posting your questions. You came to the right place to find some answers. The bunker area is described as Weapons Assembly and Storage, and the original Hangar 19 is known as Arm/De-Arm hangar, where weapons are mounted to the aircraft. However, since Area 51 is a Black Projects facility rather than an operational AFB, I have always had my doubts that that is the whole story. Especially in recent years, where H-19 has been extended to three times its original size. Maybe Peter has some input on the historic use of the area? What project at Groom needed weapons mounted? Some say that the hangar houses a couple of jets on standby to intercept intruders into the airspace...

The markings on the old taxiway have been the subject of a discussion here in the forum a while ago. I don't think we came to a consesus, but the majority of posters seemed to think it was paint related to recent painting of runway markings. It will be interesting to see if this area has changed on the new satellite image that we will present at the Area 51 conference in Las Vegas in August. Does anyone have any new input on the markings?

In Reply to: What goes on at hanger 19? posted by Daniel McLaughlin on April 03, 2009 at 2:58:36 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]