Re: White Bus

Message posted by Gregos on February 17, 2009 at 23:53:47 PST:

This comes up every year or so. This is the portable "cherry picker guard shack" in question. This is the one at Nellis taken several years ago (I can see I used film). I see them more and more used by police departments for crowd control at outdoor events. So I think it is more for when extra security is needed like at the airshow, or when the Homeland Security is a threat level defcon 5 or what ever system they use (I don't pay much attention to that).

The funny thing is there is a mannequin's head in it as the "security guard" at Nellis. Then I remember the last time this was posted Joerg sent a pic of the Helendale RCS with the same tower with a Snoopy stuffed animal as the guard. Now my question is can these be operated remotely or does someone actually need to sit in the box to observe the crowd. I don't see any uplink or cable running elsewhere. I worked with a video camera before where we transmitted live via a small microwave antenna maybe a 100 yards or so. It was still kind of sketchy... The antenna was about as round as a beer can and maybe 12 inches high.

As for the white bus same thing applies. Don't nanny cams transmit only a short distance to a receiver hooked to your VCR or Hard drive? You would need a camera, a recording media with battery or power to that, timer, etc all to travel with the bus. A modern video camera would be smaller than you're talking. You don't think the guard is not going to spot that when he does his mirror look under the bus? I think you need to give them a wee bit more credit than that!

Just my two...

In Reply to: Re: White Bus posted by Hank on February 17, 2009 at 20:48:55 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]