Crossing NTS

Message posted by Layover on February 16, 2009 at 17:01:33 PST:

There was the the guy who recreated the trek of the 49'ers about ten years ago. That always intrigued me. NTS might be a little more pourous then the Groom Lake facility. Looking at the DeLorme map, it would look like, if someone was in either great shape, or had an ATV, they could proceed west from where Old Corn Creek Road and Alamo Road merge south of Pahranagat Lake, go west maybe 12-15 miles which would then put them maybe 15 miles south of the Pappoose Range, and a cat bird seat over-looking the base. I'd ATV the first leg, cammo net the vehicle and then proceed at night, on foot to the north. Retracing the following night.

Another thought, and this is one of those, "If I found I was dying and didn't give a shit" kind of things" would be ultralight, at minimum height, from west to east. Starting out south and east of Goldfield, on the flats as close to the NTS boundary as possible. But north of Stonewall Mountain. About 100 miles atraight across, well within the fuel capacity of an ultralight and bringing you win west of the mountains west of Alamo.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]