Re: Missile Defence Shield

Message posted by chief on August 25, 2001 at 8:45:14 PST:

Here in the United Kingdom we are split on the subject Toni Blair and his government are all for the system just to please G W Bush, But alot of the other opposition partys and alot of top ranking military personel are against it.

I'v been to some website to find out more about the MDS to try and make up my own mind but most of me says no it wont work. I feel like a lot of you that the threat to the US is most likely to come from devices (Nucular or Biological) being smuggled into the country and set off rather then being fired from a far away country like China or North Korea.

I think I would need a lot more convincing evidence to prove that the MDS would actualy work as a means of defence.

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/nmd/index.html

Military chief snubs 'Son of Star Wars'

"There is no point in completely impoverishing ourselves in order to provide ourselves with a defence against one particular system and not being able to do anything else" - Admiral Sir Michael Boyce

Britain cannot afford to buy into US President George W Bush's "Son of Star Wars" scheme, the country's most senior military officer has warned.
Admiral Sir Michael Boyce warned that participating in the missile defence project would leave little in the defence budget for other kinds of activities.
The Chief of the Defence staff reportedly said that it would be irresponsible to fail to face up to the proliferation of ballistic missiles.
But he added: "So far we have no hard evidence from the Americans as to what they think is in the art of the technology.
"No-one has actually come up firmly on the American side because they are still exploring it. I have seen nothing yet to give me a technical description of what has been proposed."
Sir Michael also made clear that he had misgivings about the American suggestion that missile defence should be embraced by the European allies.
Sir Michael said: "There is no point in completely impoverishing ourselves in order to provide ourselves with a defence against one particular system and not being able to do anything else.
"As far as I am concerned there is no way I'm in a position to suggest we can pay for any missile defence technology from within the existing defence budget and carry on doing what we are doing at the moment."
Sir Michael stressed that it would be for politicians to decide whether Britain took part in the missile defence project.
Regardless of whether missile defence is deployed to protect European allies, the Americans are likely to want to use British radar stations as part of the system.

Attached link: http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/nmd/index.html

In Reply to: Re: Missile Defence Shield posted by Magoo on August 24, 2001 at 3:00:54 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]