Re: Emergency Net Barricade for runway 14L

Message posted by Nelson on January 08, 2009 at 14:56:37 PST:

I did a lot of looking at aerial imagery of various military bases when I was looking for a good resolution picture of the system. I found it at several Air Force bases, but Vance AFB was the first one I found with a clear shot. Lots of airfields have the cable arrester system along the runways, but ususally they have very distinct obvious markings and part of the machinery is clearly exposed. At many naval airfields they have the runway around the cables reinforced and painted to resemble the deck of an aircraft carrier, they even have the same landing system approach lights to the side of the runway so they can practice carrier landings. Groom has very subdued markings on the runway, the cable arresting system barely shows, and at Groom most of the actual braking mechanism is concealed, either underground or in small structures.
Otherwise the system looks like those at several other American military airfields.

In Reply to: Re: Emergency Net Barricade for runway 14L posted by OhioTraveler on January 08, 2009 at 12:06:52 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]