Re: Flying wing UAV

Message posted by Nelson on January 02, 2009 at 7:08:10 PST:

Well, let's see. First off, in the uncropped photos there are two C-17's parked on the apron for comparison, and the dimensions are very different from the horizontal stabilizer of a C-17. There are also clearly visible "flaperators" and trim tabs on the unknown that are completely different in size and configuration than a horizontal stabilizer.
Secondly, in all of the photos there are at least three individuals standing still in a wide semicircle around the aircraft. The resolution isn't good enough to show security guard uniforms, but in all the photos they're standing in the same relative positions, they sure look to me as though they're guarding the aircraft. Obviously a horizontal stailizer doesn't require guards, and it wouldn't get more than a passing glance from employees, certainly they wouldn't stand around it motionless for extended periods.
Another detail worth noting is the transporter being used to carry the aircraft, it's not simply a flatbed cargo carrier, it's designed to support an offset center of gravity, so it's obviously specifically made to carry that object.
By the way, excuse me if I'm in error to refer to the hanger as being part of the "skunk works," I used the term because on other photos you can see a U-2 and the two seater white SR-71 being serviced at the same facility.
I have a strong background in aviation, I wouldn't be bringing all this up if I wasn't pretty sure this was something unusual and unique. My feeling is that this is a UAV, very similar in design and configuration to the "Polecat" UAV, perhaps an earlier or later experimental prototype.
By the way, in other aerial photos that seem to have been taken earlier in the day you can just barely make out the outline of the object inside the opposite end of the hanger. From the order of the photos it looks as though they had to move a lot of equipment outside to make room for a C-17 to enter the hanger to load cargo.
So if by chance someone with genuine first hand knowledge happens to read this, what the heck is this thing, and is it an actual prototype or a dead end design?

In Reply to: Re: Flying wing UAV posted by CoyoteUgly on January 01, 2009 at 15:39:21 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]