Re: Remoteness of Silverbow, NV

Message posted by gary on August 23, 2001 at 13:41:39 PST:

It's about 13 miles to the front gate of the operation near Groom Lake, so the trip to Brainwash is twice as remote. Silverbow is a few miles beyond Brainwash, so you are really out there. However, you can walk around 2.5 to 3 miles per hour, so if need be, you could spend the night in your private hell, then walk out the next day. [Like Tom Mahood suggested in his 928 story, exceed OG insisted on walking out at night.] In areas like Groom or the TTR, if it was a matter of you croaking in the desert, I would surrender to the "enemy" (cammo dudes or security forces) and take my chances.

Other areas are just as remote and they don't have security to save your butt. Elgin is a good example. You drive 40 miles of dirt road before reaching the "town". I can say that the two remote areas where I ran into residents, they were both very nice. [One in Elgin and one in Hot Springs.]

If you weren't on a self imposed schedule, hanging out at Silverbow would be kind of nice. It is in a wind sheltered valley. A lawn chair, beer, and of course a scanner. [Unfortunately, you can't get pizza delivered there.] My first trip to the TTR had just about perfect weather, maybe in the 70's. After taking photos, I just sat there for about 3 hours. Eventually a B1 came by to amuse me, as well as some interesting training exercise involving a U2 (pinion callsign).

The TTR is like a Groom Lake that you can see. You have Janet planes, military planes, lots of vehicles driving on the base, so the sites are similar.

In Reply to: Remoteness of Silverbow, NV posted by Sedalia on August 22, 2001 at 23:40:30 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]