Re: Design and Development of the Blackbird

Message posted by Peter Merlin on September 29, 2008 at 9:02:14 PST:

My book, "From Archangel to Senior Crown: Design and Development of the Blackbird," is a technological case study and lessons learned analysis of the Lockheed Blackbirds, published by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). From Archangel to Senior Crown: Design and Development of the Blackbird describes the design evolution of the Blackbird from the ARCHANGEL study that culminated in the original A-12 model to the final and most advanced version, the SR-71. Construction and materials challenges faced by the prime contractor as well as the Blackbird’s performance characteristics and capabilities are discussed in detail. The text is sufficiently technical in nature to appeal to engineers but written on a level accessible to a general readership as well. The book has potential value to program managers, project engineers, historians, teachers, aeronautical engineering students and aviation buffs.

John R Whittenbury's Powerpoint presentation, “From Archangel to OXCART: Design Evolution of the Lockheed A‑12, First of the Blackbirds,” was one of many sources I used during my research. I also used numerous early Lockheed reports, Kelly Johnson's diaries, CIA documents, flight manuals, technical manuals, NASA documents, Air Force test reports, and interviews.

My book comes with a supplemental CD-ROM containing some of the source documents including Whittenbury's briefing, various technical reports, A-12/YF-12/SR-71 flight manuals, SR-71 Researcher's Handbook, photographs, and videos.

I was fortunate to be able to write this book after all of the technical material on the aircraft had been declassified. This gave me the opportunity to provide an accurate overview of the design evolution of the Blackbird from the ARCHANGEL study that culminated in the A-12 to the Air Force’s SR-71 (SENIOR CROWN). I included a detailed description of the construction and materials challenges faced by the prime contractor as well as the Blackbird’s performance characteristics and capabilities. One chapter is devoted to the use of the airplanes by NASA as flying laboratories to collect data on materials, structures, loads, heating, aerodynamics, and performance for high-speed aircraft. The final chapter discusses technical and programmatic lessons learned by the contractor and users.

In Reply to: Design and Development of the Blackbird posted by Howard on September 28, 2008 at 17:07:42 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]