FORT SIMS, RACHEL NEVADA

Message posted by NEONSKY on September 14, 2008 at 22:02:21 PST:

You will not find Fort Sims on any official historical register. It is not list with the National Park Service, or in any Nevada tourist guide. You see, it is not really a fort.

On a mountaintop high above Rachel, Nevada, overlooking Sand Spring Valley which encompasses Rachel, sits a small monument to one of Rachel’s former iconic residents,
Dave Sims, or who I liked to call, Control Tower Dave. He is no longer with us, having recently crossed over to the other side.

For those of you who in the past have visited Rachel, you could not help but see his small trailer with the camouflaged tower nearby, and the ever present American flag always flying in the breeze. When the RV Park sold out, and he had to move, he was allowed to set up residence next to the Inn. Dave is gone, but his tower still remains.

I took what might be the last photos of Dave and his canine companion Coco just a day or so before he left Rachel to travel back to New Hampshire to attend to his ailing mother. In talking to him he said that he would not be back to Rachel, at least not standing up.

Dave, myself, and another couple went to spend the day watching Red Flag at Cedar Pipeline Ranch where I took the photo of him sitting in front of his truck just taking in the view.

Early this year, around the Memorial Day weekend, my friend Les asked me if I wanted to visit Fort Simms, I had no idea what he was talking about. He took me on some back dirt roads and eventually came to this mountain top where I saw this sign saying “Fort Sims”. The sign looked very official and professionally made. Nearby was a small platform where I understand Dave would come during the day, raise the American Flag on a small flagpole, and just spend the afternoon, sitting in his chair, looking out over the valley.

And what a view it is. It is absolutely breathtaking in its grandeur and panorama. Never had I thought the valley could look so beautiful. In that moment I envied Dave for the hours he must have spent here. I took several photos to share with many of you who may never be able to come to Rachel. To share with me…all of us who cherish Rachel’s beauty. At this moment in time it is unspoiled. May divine providence keep it that way.

I won’t say where Fort Sims is, although it is no real secret. You will need a 4X4 to get there, or a very long hike. I wouldn’t want to see it trashed, nor would the folks who cared and loved Dave enough to leave such a beautiful memorial to one of their own.

…Alan

You will not find Fort Sims on any official historical register. It is not list with the National Park Service, or in any Nevada tourist guide. You see, it is not really a fort.

On a mountaintop high above Rachel, Nevada, overlooking Sand Spring Valley which encompasses Rachel, sits a small monument to one of Rachel’s former iconic residents,
Dave Sims, or who I liked to call, Control Tower Dave. He is no longer with us, having recently crossed over to the other side.

For those of you who in the past have visited Rachel, you could not help but see his small trailer with the camouflaged tower nearby, and the ever present American flag always flying in the breeze. When the RV Park sold out, and he had to move, he was allowed to set up residence next to the Inn. Dave is gone, but his tower still remains.

I took what might be the last photos of Dave and his canine companion Coco just a day or so before he left Rachel to travel back to New Hampshire to attend to his ailing mother. In talking to him he said that he would not be back to Rachel, at least not standing up.

Dave, myself, and another couple went to spend the day watching Red Flag at Cedar Pipeline Ranch where I took the photo of him sitting in front of his truck just taking in the view.

Early this year, around the Memorial Day weekend, my friend Les asked me if I wanted to visit Fort Simms, I had no idea what he was talking about. He took me on some back dirt roads and eventually came to this mountain top where I saw this sign saying “Fort Sims”. The sign looked very official and professionally made. Nearby was a small platform where I understand Dave would come during the day, raise the American Flag on a small flagpole, and just spend the afternoon, sitting in his chair, looking out over the valley.

And what a view it is. It is absolutely breathtaking in its grandeur and panorama. Never had I thought the valley could look so beautiful. In that moment I envied Dave for the hours he must have spent here. I took several photos to share with many of you who may never be able to come to Rachel. To share with me…all of us who cherish Rachel’s beauty. At this moment in time it is unspoiled. May divine providence keep it that way.

I won’t say where Fort Sims is, although it is no real secret. You will need a 4X4 to get there, or a very long hike. I wouldn’t want to see it trashed, nor would the folks who cared and loved Dave enough to leave such a beautiful memorial to one of their own.

…Alan

…Alan

Attached link: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/566992200SzFOga?start=0

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]