Re: Black Thursday for Rachel

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on September 12, 2008 at 9:53:56 PST:

Well, I am not an expert in these things, but it is my understanding that yesterday's vote of the Planning Commission was the final ok for Toreson. The Commission heard the recommendation of Planning Director Clint Wertz for approval with minor conditions, and accepted it in an open vote with 4 against 2. One member of the commission abstained, because her husband works for Mr. Toreson.

We can now appeal the decision, but in the meantime Mr. Toreson is free to get his project started. And he left no doubt that he does not intend to waste any time.

As I said in another reply in this thread, the sheriff is not really against the prison. I am sorry if I created the wrong impression. He simply presented the Commission with thuthful answers to their questions. A lot of those answers just were not very favorable for the prison. Such as the need for two resident sheriffs deputies in Rachel if this goes through, the "qualification" for a job as private prison guard (a GED, not more!) and the fact that out of three current murder investigations in Ely, two of them are in the prison there.

In Reply to: Re: Black Thursday for Rachel posted by Tom on September 12, 2008 at 6:53:11 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]