First trip to GLR...

Message posted by JoeinTX on May 15, 2008 at 1:22:37 PST:

We just completed our first trip today and while I'll post a trip report I just wanted to mention a few things.

#1-Underwhelming: The lore and history is awesome, but, any day-trippers like us will ultimately find themselves sitting 100 miles from nowhere on a dusty road thinking "why are we here, again?" There's not much going on at any given time or day and it comes down to persistence.

#2-Apart from any of the Area 51 stuff....the terrain is nice. The way that landmarks and roads and other such are identifiable for untold miles across the valleys and ranges is awesome. I found myself spending as much time watching trails and dirt roads in the far distance as much as keeping and eye on the cammies.

#3-The folks in Rachel were wonderful. I didn't get her name, but, the lady running the store (cooking, waiting, selling, and making all feel welcome all by herself) was above the board. Rachel is a dusty, desolate little burg with the personality of a flyswatter by first accounts but a visit will put it all in perspective.

#4-Out of Las Vegas, the trip wasn't bad in the least. The terrain keeps you interested and the springs system that keeps the Pahranagat Valley in business is shocking to the senses as you go driving through miles of rock and desert-weed on all sides only to discover a narrow slit of valley serviced by natural lakes and irrigation amidst the aridness.

#5-To the above, currently, Alamo is supporting two filling stations and 3 overnight stays.....with the Windwill Ridge clearly the best. Ash Springs has a gas stop and no hotel I could see.

#6-Traffic on 93/375 was not sparse. There were numerous cars and trucks along the way and some were vexxing to the point of foiling shots and not letting me pass while driving. We encountered two Nevada State Police cruisers on the trip...one headed south and one north.

#7-While it is "open range" for much of the trip, there weren't many cattle to be seen. I counted around a dozen total with only around 6 being together at any one time. Be careful, but, it doesn't look as like any herds are going to force you to slam the brakes.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]