Re: Tikaboo Peak

Message posted by gary on July 28, 2001 at 11:26:11 PST:

The F2 uses a magnifier that attaches to the back of the viewfinder. which incidentally also fits the F3. The F3 has a magnifying viewfinder, that is, you remove the stock viewfinder and attach a special magnifying viewfinder, the DW-4. This is a substantially better method of doing critical focus, which isn't easy with a telescope since the image will never be perfectly sharp if the target is miles away.

The built-in eye cup with the DW-4 helps in focusing as well, since the telescope image may be dim due to the high degree of magnification.

The screen is pretty critical when using a telescope. Focus aides like what is found in the Nikon type K screen go black with a telescope. You need screens designed for telephoto lenses, such as the type D screen. I haven't tried an Beattie interscreen.

One thing to keep in mind is that the F3 is still being sold new by Nikon, which means you can still get parts for it. For instance, I decided to replace the pressure plate on mine even though there were no scratches in the film. It was $20, and I figured better safe than sorry because it did show some wear.

In Reply to: Re: Tikaboo Peak posted by John K on July 28, 2001 at 8:11:54 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]