Re: Programming

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on March 21, 2008 at 15:12:59 PST:

I have not had an opportunity to check out the Edwards system, but from the attached link to RadioReference it looks like it is similar to the Nellis/NTS Motorola P25 system. I would not expect the frequencies to be the same, though. The system also uses the 406-412MHz range, and from the RR site you can get the base, step and offset. Info on RR may be outdated, so don't rely on the CC's to be the same any more.

Figuring out a Moto system is really quite simple: Just band scan the frequency range that you know the system to be in (406-412MHz) for the data channel(s). Then enter these in your scanner as Moto P25 system, with the base, step and offset from the RR page. No need to worry about the voice channels, the scanner does all the work for you.

I have a Uniden BCD396T trunk tracker, an Icon IC-R20 and a Jupiteru MVT 7100. Each one of them is perfect for certain uses. The Uniden is the only one that does Trunking, while the other two are more sensitive in most bands. The Icom and Uniden are PC programmable, while the Yupi has no gaps in the coverage and a discriminator tap mod. I love the built-in voice-activated recorder of the Icom.

I would have a hard time letting go of any one of them, but on most of my trips the Uniden gets the most use. And yes, once you get the hang of it, it works very nicely. You will probably want to use PC software to program it. I use the Uniden UASD software that came with the scanner and find it very easy and intuitive to use.

Enjoy your trip.

Attached link: Radio Reference: Edwards Trunking System

In Reply to: Programming posted by 9thLife on March 21, 2008 at 14:37:59 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]