Re: Tikaboo Peak

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on July 26, 2001 at 21:20:43 PST:

I assume you have already looked at our Tikaboo Map in our "Maps" section. If not, that is a good start.
As for the equipment: When Gary and I were up there recently we used my Celestron C-5 spotting scope (5 inch aperture) with a camera adapter that turns it into a 1250mm lens. Or a 2500mm lens with a 2x converter. With the scope you can see quite a bit of detail, and I believe if you have one that is portable enough its worth the effort.
OTOH, even with my pair of inexpensive 20x50 binoculars I can see quite a bit. You can easily see the Janets land and take off, although you would probably not be able to positively identify a small plane at that distance.
Very important: The best viewing is in the early morning, right after sunrise, before the heat distorts the air. In the afternoon you are looking into the sun, and the view is pretty bad.

And don't forget to bring your scanner. Tikaboo is one of the few places where you can clearly get all Groom ground radio traffic, and you can listen to the Janets all the way from Vegas departure until they taxi to the terminal at Groom.

If you are planning to go this fall check out the link to our annual campout and Tikaboo hike on our main page. Its on Labor Day weekend, and everyone is invited to join us. Hope to see you there.

In Reply to: Tikaboo Peak posted by Paul on July 26, 2001 at 20:47:33 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]