Re: Google Earth A51/NTS border overlay

Message posted by Tom on February 13, 2008 at 6:22:36 PST:

Google Earth is pretty easy to use offline with a GPS, but you have to preload the cache with the area you're visiting. You also need to increase the size of the cache in the Google Earth setting to at least a gig or so.

You can manually work Google Earth through the area you want, or use software to get it to automatically "tour" the area, thus filling the cache.

I've attached a link which describes the use of something called Google Earth Voyager, a piece of free software for filling the cache. You just put in the lat/long of two corners of a rectangular area, and it then causes Google Earth to scan the area. It can take a while if it's a large area, but once you cache an area, you can copy that cache and save it so you don't have to do it again.

I've used this in the field with great success. In many cases I'd rather see my position on a good aerial photo instead of a topo map. The aerials shows features not on the topo.

Attached link: Google Earth Voyager info

In Reply to: Re: Google Earth A51/NTS border overlay posted by FVS on February 12, 2008 at 18:07:59 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]