Re: Alamo/Corn Creek Rd

Message posted by JB737 on October 30, 2007 at 12:16:42 PST:

If I recall correctly, you need to be very careful of the military border if you go that way. Several months ago, I was comparing government border maps with Google Earth photos/terrain, and I think there was a section of road (by a little intersection or roundabout?) where the road crossed the border by a few feet.

Whether the ground truth of what they post as the marked/defended border matches this, I have no idea, but if I had to guess, then I suspect that they probably clearly mark it and do allow travel. This would be consistent with how the government survey maps show that the marked/defended border (as determined by GPS coordinates taken by visitors, and as posted on DLR) on Groom Lake Road is well inside the documented government-ownership border. On/near GLR, they defend the "township boundary" rather than the sawtooth-shaped slivers of military land that extend outside the township boundary.

I'll try to dig up my notes and screenshots on this and give a more definitive answer regarding surveyed BLM/military border issues, but I do not have any info regarding closures/gates/signs or how the survey info or Google Earth imagery correlates to physical posting of the no-trespassing defended border etc.

JB737

In Reply to: Alamo/Corn Creek Rd posted by Craig Fuller on October 28, 2007 at 23:29:29 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]