Re: trip to A51 in a fortnight

Message posted by Rob on October 01, 2007 at 11:26:42 PST:

Thanks for all the advice about my A51 visit.

Sorry about the questions – but I live in a small country, that it is almost impossible to get lost in – the wild open spaces of NV are going to be a great adventure.

My rental car is a quite small I think, but not the smallest. I guess the car will have the range in excess of 150 miles with a full tank of gas. I feel relatively confident to make the drive up to Tonopah now. I should have ordered a larger car to be honest, but there is just going to me and a buddy on this trip, so I think we’ll be ok.

Having read this forum for a while, I think I have the basic topography of the area in my head – the location of the mail box on 375 and the point at which The Groom Lake road starts.

I am tempted to get a car with SatNav installed; I could use the coordinates from the site, which would be handy for a first-timer.

The Groom Lake road is unpaved – would my rental car get very badly chipped? I wouldn’t mind if it was my own car, but I’d rather not have to pay an excess when I return the car.

One last question about the temperatures – if I did plan to visit during the late evening early morning – what are the night time temps this time of year? I’m thinking of parking up and sleeping in the car with a sleeping bag (is that sensible)?

And what the heck happens if I break down on hwy 375?

Hopefully I may file a trip report here when I get home.

In Reply to: trip to A51 in a fortnight posted by Rob on October 01, 2007 at 8:18:37 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]