Re: Perseids at A51 anyone?

Message posted by lone wolf on July 21, 2007 at 22:03:25 PST:

It is very dark out there. In fact, just about any spot to the east of Tonopah along route 6 is dark. Well, at least as far as Moore Station, Meteor Crater, and places in that area.

If you wanted to make a cool photograph, I suspect the Easy Chair Crater would make a good foreground. I've done meteor photographs with film. There are tips on the net. I don't know about digital, but since there are no lights in the general area, you wouldn't have anything to bloom in the image. [CCDs tend to bloom on long exposures, so my understanding is you take multiple exposures and stack them.]

It really depends on what kind of effect you want. If you just want trails on the image, slide film works well. If you want to illuminate the foreground with starlight/moonlight, print film works best. Since there would be no artificial lights (i.e. light with color) in the area, Kodak BW400CN would be perfect. I've used this film and the older version to find "occupied" areas on the range. That is, you shoot it at ISO 50, and any light on the range gets burnt into the image.

Attached link: easy chair crater

In Reply to: Re: Perseids at A51 anyone? posted by Hank on July 21, 2007 at 21:37:47 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]