Re: recent surface earthquake measurements

Message posted by werD on July 20, 2007 at 21:42:15 PST:

Quick earthquake facts for you: aftershocks are often stronger than the preceding quakes. Not surprising or strange at all that this could be the case. It's also not possible for a single sensor to locate an earthquake on its own-- locations are triangulated from multiple sensors' data, and based on differentiating between different types of harmonics in the ground that travel at different speeds. So one sensor, even if it had problems, couldn't create a record of an earthquake on its own, even if something was wrong with it, as far as I know. Unfortunately I'm not a seismologist, so I can't explain things beyond that.

I would presume that if they were explosions of some sort, though, that they would not be centered in exactly the same area. Generally speaking, it tends to take a lot of setup time for planned explosions... which probably means not having the blasts too close to each other so that more than one could be set up at a time (anyone in agreement on that?). Although, maybe something surface-to-air like a bunker buster (designed for major ground impact, we should note) might be possible.

With all that in mind, I don't have much to offer than logic driven guesses. Sorry I can't help more.

In Reply to: Re: recent surface earthquake measurements posted by Joe II on July 20, 2007 at 17:07:33 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]