Identify This Plain-Jane Military Aircraft

Message posted by JB737 on May 30, 2007 at 10:22:47 PST:

I've finally posted a pic of the military aircraft I saw passing in the opposite direction from my LAS-RNO flight in April 2007.

It seems somewhat KC-135 like, but I don't think that is it, as it is missing the forward-facing tail (pitot?) spike. Also not sure if it's long enough to be any 707 variant.

From the angle, I'm not even sure whether it has 2 engines or 4. The engines seem small, either turbojets or low-bypass turbofans.

I'm not familiar with the tail insignia either, but overall the plane surely looks military to me.

I don't think it was in restricted airspace, but it is possible, because my own flight was fairly close to the Nellis Range space. This guy was close enough to us that he was probably clear of it.

There is no buried $100 bill, and no patch, just the pride of being the first to positively ID it, knowing that if you get it wrong, someone here will certainly know the right answer and bust you.

Next on my list for posting is probably a MiG-29 like aircraft taxiing past JANET at McCarran in 2005. It has a more interesting tail insignia than this one.

Regards,

JB737

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]