Re: tikaboo in april

Message posted by JB737 on March 16, 2007 at 2:48:42 PST:

You're right: night climbing is very much more difficult that day climbing. But with a headlamp, appropriate planning, and attention to detail, I don't consider it to change the actual risk much for an experienced mountain climber. Plus, I could just follow a GPS tracklog back down if need be, or hang out lost for an hour or two for dawn to arrive and then proceed up or down. I have done crazier things, like descending Mt. Whitney solo at night in the snow, starting the 11 miles down after photographing the sunset from 14,497ft. And then there was the time I mistook a fresh and unstable talus rockslide on Mt. Shasta, for being the trail down from a high ridge. Now THAT was an ordeal, but I picked my way down it solo and learned a lot about how to hike up/down/sideways when every step starts every rock around you sliding at different speeds. As for the additional traverse toward 375, I have mapped out a route that looks doable, and I'm sure is a much shorter distance than you think...but may or may not be tougher than it looks. Even then, though, it would be nice to traverse even a mile or two to some decent sidepeak and back.

In Reply to: Re: tikaboo in april posted by lone wolf on March 16, 2007 at 1:21:20 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]